One of the many reasons we started Serene Dreams is the incredible non-invasive and chemical-free physical and mental benefits that floatation therapy provides. That’s why we are honored and elated to announce that our New Jersey float spa is now part of the international Fibromyalgia Flotation Project.
What is the Fibromyalgia Flotation Project?
The Fibromyalgia Flotation Project (FFP) is a global non-profit research program that matches fibromyalgia patients with local float centers to track the effectiveness of float therapy on the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Once signed up with the project, participants can float once a week for four weeks at no charge, and their next six floats at 50% off. The goal of the research project is to examine data from real-life fibromyalgia patients on their experiences with float therapy. Patient feedback is gathered through simple pre- and post-float questionnaires submitted before and after each float session by the participant.
Fibromyalgia & Floatation Therapy
Fibromyalgia is painful and debilitating rheumatic disease that effects 2% of the population. It is characterized by a dull ache or throbbing pain throughout the entire body, often originating in the muscles. Fibromyalgia effects nine times as many women as men. While researchers still do not understand the exact cause of it and there are no cures, doctors have several theories about the condition.
For one, serotonin and magnesium deficiencies seem to play a role in the condition. Scientists also believe that emotional and physical stress exacerbates fibromyalgia symptoms. As both a result of the stress and pain from the fibromyalgia, many sufferers also endure sleep disorders and sleep deficiencies.
Floatation therapy is a natural answer to fibromyalgia, since it directly treats many of the symptoms and proposed causes of the disease. Float therapy has been shown to improve sleep, reduce stress, reduce pain, and increase serotonin levels. And as an added benefit, the epsom salt solution of our float tanks at Serene Dreams is magnesium-rich (49% MgSo4) and magnesium is best when absorbed through the skin as during a float session.
The data gathered through the Fibromyalgia Flotation Project resulted in a study that was presented to the 2012 Float Summit in Gothenburg, Sweden. Fibromyalgia patients experienced “significant relief” with float therapy and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Participants experienced an average of a 2.3 point reduction in pain (out of an 11 point system) immediately following a float. Pre-float pain reported on each successive float was reduced from previous sessions, suggesting a long-term cumulative benefit to ongoing float therapy as well. Both immediately following a float and for the long-term, participants overwhelmingly reported:
- a reduction of being bothered by pain
- a reduction in muscle tension
- a reduction in stress
- an increase in ease of movement
- an increase in energy
- a decrease in sadness
- an increase in well-being
- an increase in feelings of relaxation
- a decrease in feelings of anxiety
- an increase in sleep duration and quality
How Do I Take Part In the Fibromyalgia Flotation Project?
- The first step is to register as a participant on the FFP website where you’ll receive an account and password.
- Then come by our spa to fill out an intake form with questions about your health and your fibromyalgia symptoms. All forms are kept private and confidential.
- Next, you’ll give a security code to your doctor who is familiar with your condition. They will need to visit the fibromyalgiaflotationproject.com website to fill out a Medical Awareness form.
- Book an appointment! As a participant of the project, your first four floats are free.
- When you arrive for your float, sign in at our center with your account and password to fill out the pre-float questionnaire. Then, enjoy your float!
- After you float, you’ll log in again with your account and password and fill out the post-float questionnaire.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for three more floats, which are offered free to participants, and 50% off for the following six floats.
Have questions? We’d love to chat. Contact us or stop by our float center today to find out more about the Serene Dreams Fibromyalgia Flotation Project. Or, contact the Fibromyalgia Flotation Project with questions about the study.